Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Good TV

So, it does seem a little oxymoronic to admit to loving tv at the same time I say I'm trying to lose weight--you know, the whole couch potato syndrome--but I just caught the episode "Hit the Wall" from the third season of Work Out on Bravo. I'm digging Jackie Warner; I think she's hot, first of all. But I also really admire her business savvy and her commitment to running a top notch gym and build her business. And, because she's from Ohio, too, and has come from a tough family situation, I admire her grit and ambition and her trust of her own instincts.

For the purposes of this blog, however, I'm intrigued with Jackie's SkyLab project to bring 10 really overweight--and a few obese--people into shape. It's a fascinating insight into what people need to do to lose weight: this is where the rubber hits the pavement for real. No baby talk. No hand holding. No crying game. No 'why me??' This is the real deal. The formula to losing weight is simple: reduce what you eat; increase your workout. That's it.

But the people in her SkyLab--not all, but a few--whine and cry and say I can't. Hey, if it were easy and could be sold in a bottle, everyone would be doing it. It's not easy. But it is the only way. I'm not being coarse. I just know. Painfully, I know. I also know that if I don't do the formula, there will be no change. And that is not acceptable to me--I cannot not lose weight. That is not an option.

So, I'm going to be staying tuned into Work Out this season because I really want to see how these folks do and compare my own ups and downs, triumphs and heartaches with theirs.

Also, if you haven't check out the Work Out website, do it now. Not just for the drama--which is sizzling and fun--and the eye candy of the trainers (Yowza!), but for the 30-second awesome workout videos. Now, nothing beats getting yourself a personal trainer (I'll write more about my own hottie personal trainer, Mark, in future posts), but these little shorts are well done and get right to the point.

So go, watch some good tv and work out, now!

No comments: