Friday, May 30, 2008

Recipes Revamped to Skinny


Remember when I said that I was tearing through my huge stack of foodie magazines to find recipes that could be revamped for lower points values? I just recreated a tandori chicken from Bon Appetit that was absolutely delicious. I have to share it. (I don't have a picture of it because I was starving when it was finished and then it was so good, I ate it all! Sorry! So, you'll just have to settle with a picture of the original recipe hanging on my refrigerator!)

So easy though to make this into a low points meal. The recipe called for a full chicken cut into parts; I used (no surprise!) skinless, boneless chicken breasts. The recipe also called for full fat Greek yogurt. Yes, that would have been delicious, but too many points. I made it with nofat yogurt and it was still really good.

Chicken, especially breasts, was just made for yogurt. When you marinate the chicken with a yogurt-based mixture, the chicken is tender and just explodes with flavor. It's really an amazing little secret. Fill the yogurt mix with 0 points flavors, such as cumin, red chili flake, fresh herbs, lemon juice, and you've got a real treat coming.

Here's the skinny:


Low Points Chicken Tandoori

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or more if you have more people--I had 2)

1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

garlic cloves (I don't like garlic that much, so I only used one; original recipe called for 4)

1 tbs ground cumin

1 tbs sweet paprika

1 tbs kosher salt

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 cup olive oil

1/2 cup plain nofat yogurt

1/4 cup lemon juice


Whir all the ingredients (except the chicken!) in a food processor or blender until well combined. Put chicken breasts in a big sealable plastic food bag and pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken. Seal the bag and turn it upside down a couple times so that the chicken inside is covered with the yogurt. Refrigerate for a couple hours, turning the bag a couple more times.

You can grill then grill the chicken on a grill, or you can do what I did, which was to sear it in a saute pan that had been sprayed with cooking spray and sear each side and then finish in the oven until an inside temp reaches 165 degrees.

Serve with slices of mango and yummy yummy yummy and so low in points!

Enjoy!


No comments: